Does hearing someone mangle a food’s name drive you crazy? Ever wanted to slap someone for saying broo-SHET-ah instead of broo-SKET-ah?
I found this list of commonly mispronounced foods on the Foodista blog this morning and thought it was worth a reprint. Pay close attention to #5–do you pronounce the cult hot sauce’s name correctly or do you (like me) opt for the popular mispronounciation see-ra-cha? Surprised to see that foie gras didn’t make the list–it’s an oft-butchered name.
REPRINTED FROM THE FOODISTA BLOG
Let’s paint a picture. Imagine you are out at dinner, perhaps somewhere fancy, on a date, at a business meeting or some other situation where you need to be impressively smooth. You are ready to order when you realize you have no idea how to pronounce the dish you desired. In fear of appearing a fool, you choose the salad instead.
Eat24 wants to help eliminate that very situation from your life. They have provided a list of commonly mispronounced menu items and have provided the correct pronunciation. Check it out below!
10. Bruschetta Pronounced: broo-sket-ah
9. Gnocchi: Pronounced: nyowk-kee
8. Espresso Pronounced: e-spres-oh
7. Chipotle Pronounced: chi-poht-ley
6. Beignet: Pronounced: ben-yay
5. Sriracha Pronounced: shree-ra-cha
4. Quinoa: Pronounced: keen-wah
3. Gyro: Pronounced : yee-row or zheer-oh
2. Quesadilla: Pronounced: key-suh-dee-uh
1. Pho: Pronounced: fəʊ or fuh